Do you frequently experience clogged drains? Is drain cleaner safe for pipes when professional plumbers generally suggest avoiding them? Keep reading to discover why professionals like Al Coronado Plumbing recommend avoiding these products for drain cleaning in Tucson, AZ, and what to use instead.
And if you’d like an experienced team to handle your clogged drains, call Al Coronado Plumbing in Tucson, Arizona, to learn more!
The Dangers of Drain Cleaners
It’s usually best to avoid using drain cleaners to clear clogs from your pipes. For one, it may not be a problem that the cleaner can dislodge. Plus, the chemical reactions used for the cleaners can cause the following issues:
- They get stuck too. The biggest problem is that drain cleaners are difficult to completely remove from the pipe system. Over time, they will create heat and react with existing corrosion to eat away at the pipes. Even PVC pipes are vulnerable.
- They react with other cleaners. If these cleaners sit in your pipe system and you pour other cleaners down your drains, unpredictable chemical reactions could follow. If this causes toxic fumes, your household could experience health problems.
- They’re harmful. Even if you pour carefully, a chemical blowback from the drain could splash and burn your skin or cause blindness if it comes into contact with your eyes.
- They’re not eco-friendly. Drain cleaners are horrible for the environment. Nobody wants these contaminants in their drinking water, poisoning pets, or destroying plant and animal life around their homes.
Maintaining Your Pipes Without Drain Cleaners
Is drain cleaner safe for pipes if you get the right brand? What could you use instead? The best solution is to avoid clogged drains in the first place by controlling what goes down the drain, including the following substances:
- Grease, fat, and oil from food
- Any paper products other than toilet paper (even if they claim to be flushable)
- Hard food waste, such as bones or fiber
- Foods that expand, like pasta or rice
- Gritty substances, like eggshells or coffee grounds
Handling Clogged Pipes
No matter how well you maintain your pipes, most plumbing systems will experience a clog eventually. Calling a team like Al Coronado Plumbing is always the best option for removing blockages without causing further damage. However, you can also try the following for minor clogs:
- Plunger: Plungers are an effective solution for minor clogs. It will dislodge the blockage, at which point you can usually wash it out of your plumbing system.
- Drain snake: You can obtain an affordable drain snake at any hardware store, but your plumber has access to the industrial strength version. A snake can reach clogs that are farther down your pipes and break them up before flushing.
- Baking soda: Some people swear by pouring boiling water down the drain, followed by a half-cup of baking soda and vinegar for harder clogs.
Call Al Coronado Plumbing to Unclog Your Pipes
Is drain cleaner safe for pipes in moderation? You won’t need to risk it with Al Coronado Plumbing on your side. We can keep your property’s pipes in great working condition, fix clogged drains, and more—call 520-834-8400 today!